Monday, February 23, 2015

First sewing project of 2015: Simplicity 3345

Hey there! It's been a hot minute since I had a sewing project to share with you all, but today I've got my first finished project of the year to show you! It's actually also my first finished project for the Vintage Sewing Pattern Pledge of 2015, AND as just a little icing on the cake, it's also a 100% pure stash-buster. I did not make any further financial expenditures for this project. Every single thing on it, from the fabric to the notions (and the pattern) was stuff that I already owned. While it's not "technically" true, I am telling myself that this dress was consequently a "FREE" dress, which makes it even better and totally fits in with my attempts at stash busting and project budgeting this year. All good things.

Anyway, this is the second version of Simplicity 3345, the first of which can be seen here.


I made a couple of minor changes, mostly taking the side seams in slightly, in order to get a little better fit on this one. I think by rights I probably should have done a full bust adjustment as well to get the fit really perfect, but that's more work than I wanted to put in on something I was only going to wear for a couple of months (and be changing sizes the whole time anyway). I shortened the hem (from the pattern length) by about 5 or 6 inches, so it hits me just at the bottom of my knee like the illustration. I'm not all that short, and even with a three inch hem allowance you'd have to be 5'10" for this to hit you where it does in the illustration. I intended on getting pictures of this one on myself so you could see how it looks on a legitimately pregnant human, but my husband is never up during daylight hours and the tripod is broken, so Tabitha will have to suffice yet again.



The bow is actually a pin that goes on the playsuit from which I scavenged the red fabric (it was from the skirt portion of the playsuit, which I think I maybe wore once and decided needed to be put to better use), so I can move it around, which is fun. It looks pretty cute at the neck, too. The back sash pieces don't perfectly line up with the front since I was working with the width of the previous skirt's ties, but my usually super anal retentive self was ok with it because I was doing some awesome stash busting/recycling.



You can see where I had to piece the ties to get the length I needed for this, since the skirt ties were much shorter. I hand-picked the zip like I normally do, since it's actually one of my favorite bits of hand finishing. I think they just look so much nicer, too. The zipper and waist elastic were also things I had in my stash already, which is why I went with a bright red zipper instead of a matching one, but I think bright zippers can be fun sometimes anyway. 

Just so you can get an idea of what these dresses look like on a real person, here is a picture of version 1 from Derby two years ago. I was about 36 or 37 weeks. 


I actually have my second project in the queue already cut, I just need to find something to use for the contrast bias binding I need. It's a smaller project and should hopefully be finished a little faster. I've also gotten a lot more done on my second pair of socks. I'm not sure which project I'll have to share with you first, but my goal is to get at least one of them finished in the next three weeks. Have a good week!

20 comments:

  1. Such a sweet dress! Thanks for taking part in #vintagepledge, I've pinned this here https://www.pinterest.com/stitchodyssey/2015-vintage-sewing-pattern-pledge/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marie! I'm really loving seeing what everyone else is making, too!

      Delete
  2. Lovely - That's a very stylish pattern - sometimes the vintage maternity patterns are a bit tent-like but this is beautifully designed. Love your dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is a really great pattern.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I think I actually would like to make this as a non-maternity dress. the shaped sash is so unique. Also, your fabric is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It would actually be pretty easy to adjust the pattern for non-maternity I think. You'd just have to alter the skirt shape/gathers some and omit the extra room/elastic in the back waist.

      Delete
  4. Que hemoso vestido, mi querida Evie!!! El print de la tela es tan bonito que yo lo he mirado una y otra vez para descubrir los divertidos dibujos que hay en él. El contraste del rojo es la guinda del pastel , efectivamente. Hiciste un trabajo genial!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the dress - that fabric is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's incredibly cute! Love the fabric and the pattern :)
    www.terzibegum.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an ADORABLE dress! I have no plans to be pregnant anytime soon, but I might have to track down a copy of this pattern for when I do. I love the red accent in the contrast band, and the bow worked out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This dress is exactly why I need to work on my sewing skills, especially if I should ever find myself expecting a baby. I love the fabric you have used for this project, especially with the red accent, so lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...