Friday, February 28, 2014

A sporty look

The second skirt in my Pendleton quartet is another plaid number. This one is fairly plain as well, with some simple alterations made to change the look up a bit. I widened the waistband and added suspenders. I've always really liked the look of the suspender skirt (whether from the 1910s or the 1950s or anywhere in between), and have intended to make myself one for a long time now. I thought it would be a nice silhouette with this plaid also, simple enough to showcase the pattern, but not so overly simplified as to be boring. This piece of wool had just a few moth holes that needed repair, so I set myself to work at re-weaving again. This is a much finer weave than the previous fabric, so it required a little more precision, but it really wasn't too bad. I have to admit, I think I'm actually getting a little hooked on it. It's just the kind of insanely meticulous work I find fun and relaxing ('cause maybe I'm a little nuts).

After pulling threads from a scrap of the plaid, I set to work reweaving the two holes in the skirt front, and then the two in the suspender pieces. 

Doing this made me feel a little bit like the woman who made Chanel's braided trim for decades (although not old, French, and incredibly skilled).

You can see the first hole mid-repair just to the right of the pin. 
The skirt turned out pretty well, and I had just enough left of the fabric to make a matching hat (because every outfit should have a matching hat, right?). Anyway, I used the Wearing History Sporty Toppers pattern, view 1. I was working with scraps, so the plaid doesn't match perfectly on top, but it doesn't bother me too much since there is so much seaming to break it up in the first place. I used a slightly narrower ribbon than called for in the pattern, but I like how it looks.







To complete my sort of "golf-course" couture look, I managed to finally finish one of my biggest UFOs; this brown wool suit jacket. I started this suit about three years ago, finished the skirt, got about half way through the jacket and then put it on the back burner and left it there to stew. It feels really good to finally have it finished and out of the project pile. It's far from perfect, but finished it all I was really aiming for at this point, so I'm happy with it. I don't have all the pattern details in front of me, but I'll try and dig them up. I'm pretty sure it's a McCall's pattern, and it's from the 50s, but I'm not sure the exact year and can't remember the number. Anyway, here's the ensemble all put together and ready for a stroll across the fairway. (Both pieces need a little touch up with the iron).








So, that's that. Now on to other projects in the queue. I've still got two of the wool skirts to put together, and then numerous other summery projects to start, but I've got an Edwardian event to go to in early May that I also have to make some stuff for, and that will probably take precedence. Hope everyone has had a good week!

-Evie

7 comments:

  1. Really cute. I love the straps on the skirt with the jacket and hat. Great job completing a UFO and reapiring soem great wool fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Que bonito equipo has hecho con estas piezas, mi querida Evie!! Ciertamente, es un trabajo de Haute Couture, y estoy totalmente asombrada de ver cómo has reparado la falda a partir de trozos de hilo de la propia falda, que paciencia, amiga!! Es maravilloso!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The jacket is just stunning!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...