Wednesday, April 3, 2013

A UFO sighting

Several weeks ago I started working on a 1940s knitted turban with what I had left from the cabled baby jacket and socks. However, I soon realized that I was not going to have enough yarn for the whole turban, so I was forced to frog it. I've since started on a baby hat from a vintage pattern book with the rest of that yarn. Anyway, in the meantime I have also pulled out one of my remaining UFOs to work on. It is a 1950s lace sweater in an aqua colored lamb's wool. 

This is the pattern I'm using. 

I've gotten the back finished and am very nearly finished with the front. I don't have any decent pictures of them, but I should get some taken here soon. I've hit a major snag in the project for the moment, however, both literally and figuratively. I developed a HUGE tangle in the yarn (which in lace weight yarn is incredibly infuriating). I spent an hour and a half working at it last night and made major headway, but still have a big tangle to work out. I have to get it all untangled because my yardage is very limited and I can't afford to waste a single bit of the yarn. As it stands, I may have to make the sleeves a teensy bit shorter already and don't want to start hacking at this wonderfully soft yarn anyway. Patience, though, is a great virtue to the knitter/sewer and I am making a good practice of it with this mess. I know I can loosen it all eventually. 

For the last couple of days I've been trying to get lots of organizational/prep work done around the house before the baby gets here as well. We have less than 8 weeks to go now, and I still have lots of work to get finished so I can just relax the last couple of weeks. Today I threw together a couple of wet bags (we're will be cloth diapering at least part time) and it was a nice, quick project to make me feel like I'd done something productive without much effort. Here's a sneak peak of them. They are lined with PUL (so they're more or less waterproof on the inside) and each has a snap strap for hanging on strollers, cribs, etcetera if need be. This "jungle babies" fabric was just too cute to pass up as well. I think I may have just enough of the PUL left to make a cloth diaper cover as well. We will see. All in all, I spent about $12 total on these two bags: not too bad since store bought ones seem to cost at least twice that much. 

I've also got a 1940s house dress in the works for after the baby is born. I hope to get that finished up and have pictures for you all soon. I had to make a few alterations to the back (it was SUPER blousy) but I think I've got it worked out. I had to have a friend come try it on since I can't get the wrap front around myself right now. I think it's going to be really cute though. 

Hope everyone is having a good week!


  1. Good luck with all your projects, including baby!

  2. I've had to cut yarn to untangle it before - not to throw out the whole snarl, just to make it easier to figure out what's going on. I discovered a new (to me) technique to help not waste yarn: spit splicing. It ends up only using up about 3 inches of yarn.
    The sweater looks lovely, I hope it works out!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...